Friday, April 10, 2009

Open your eyes...

Acts 9:18
And immediately there fell from his eyes something like scales, and he regained his sight, and he got up and was baptized;

This passage has always intrigued me and God laid it on my heart once again this week while teaching my 9-year-old. She, as only a child can do, looked at me and asked, "What does that mean? How can scales fall from his eyes, gross!"

I was less prepared to answer this question than I thought. It seemed like there should be an obvious answer but, as we all know, the obvious is not always the answer.



Therefore, I consulted the usual scholars, MacArthur, Stanley, Swindoll...nothing. There was no deep, inspiring insight. No 'aha' moment. I was left to my own interpretation - and the Holy Spirit did not let me down:)

Paul was blinded to show his own blindness toward the Christians he was prosecuting. He was very full of himself and all the acts he performed in accordance with the laws he defended so strongly. He was the know-it-all of his day.

And we all know that:
you can think you know it all but later find out that all

you knew was completely wrong.


This is what Paul learned. And this is what we all have the opportunity to change.

As the "scales" fell from Paul's eyes, he saw the world with "new" eyes.
When we accept Jesus as our savior, the HOLY SPIRIT enters us and we, like Paul, are to see things with new eyes.



Father, Thank you for the Holy Spirit to guide and help me. Thank you for your word that I can learn from. Thank you for the questions from a child to help me see you more clearly. Help me to see things today through my new eyes. Amen


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...