Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Do You Hear God's Voice...

I can't tell you the number of times I have prayed to be able to hear God's voice more clearly. I'm sure I'm not alone...


1Samuel 3:1-21 relays the first revelation of God to young Samuel. Samuel lived with Eli, the prophet. But as Eli aged and was close to death, God called on Samuel. Thinking it was Eli calling him, Samuel ran to him and asked what he wanted. Eli said he didn't call him, go back to bed. Well, this happens twice more before Eli perceives that it is God calling Samuel. He tells him to go lay down and when he HE calls you again, say 'Speak Lord, for your servant hears.'(v.10)




How many times have you hoped that God could be heard so clear and so loud? What has changed that He could be heard so clearly by Samuel and not by us?
I truly think we have. We have noisy, busy, distracting lives. Think of what it was like when God revealed himself to Samuel. It was at night so it was dark, the room was quiet, and the boy was not distracted by TV, ipods, or cell phones. He was still.
Verse 19 continues to tell us that "Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him and let none of his words fall to the ground." Maybe we can't understand Him because we can't hear Him. There is too much going on in our lives, too much competing for our attention.


If WE are first, HE can't be.





In 1Kings19 God's revelation to Elijah is written about. In much the same way we are enlightened to God's "style." He was not in the wind, not in the earthquake, not in the fire - but "after the fire a still small voice."


To sum it up, I think we need to know God's word - so we hear who's talking to us. And, we need to be quiet and have quiet more often - so we can hear HIM. And most of all we need to listen and act on what we hear - Give her of the fruit of her hands, And let her own works praise her in the gates (Prov 31:31).
Father, Thank you for speaking to me even when I don't hear You. Help me to make those quiet times, just for the two of us. Help me to be silent long enough to hear your still, small voice. Thank you for always making me Your top priority. Constantly remind me that if I am first, You cannot be. Help me start putting You first right her and right now. Amen



More on finding and making that quiet time in the days to come. Thanks for joining me for a minute of encouragement.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...