Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Journey....humility

1 Peter 5:6-7


6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time,


7 casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.



I've often wondered why God put these verses in this order. It seemed a bit backward to me. So there must be something more to it that I wasn't getting.


God's mighty hand tells us He is in control of everything to ultimately accomplish His purpose. One thing we all need to work on is patience. God humbles us through the experiences we face - thus the purpose of each journey.


I think as wives and moms we can sometimes get down and feel unappreciated. We do a lot and though we may all preach humility, let's be honest - it's nice to be acknowledged once and a while....


My husband has a wonderful way of putting me in my place when I fish for a compliment. He can do it in a way that lets me know he appreciates me yet rebukes me for my pride.


I think this is what our Lord does. He wants us to feel good about what we're doing but rebukes us when we fish for a compliment. You see, dear reader, compliments are self-glorifying. It means the reason for doing it was to feel appreciated, not to glorify God.


But, do not give up yet. The passage continues to tell us that He will exalt us in His time.
Moms will, in time, be fully exalted for all their hard work. Before you think no one appreciates you, remember He does. He's the one who give you the job.


He has given us the hardest, worst paying, sometimes most thankless, job there is (in a worldly sense). Further, He expects us to do it with humility, grace, no appreciation, no pay, and with a servant's heart.


Pay? We will get paid in full, at Heaven's gate.


The verses aren't misplaced. They are right in line to the way we are to think. God knew there would be times of impatience, despair, and discouragement. He told us to cast those feeling off onto Him. Throw them like dirty laundry and know His plan is already in motion.


Submit, be humble, and trust that His plan is way better than your plan.


Those are 3 very important areas to work on for victorious Christian Living.


Thanks for stopping by----Elizabeth

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...